Thursday 12 September 2019

Canons Farm - Spot the Flycatcher!

This morning’s garden watch produced a flurry of Swallow over my house which had me polish off breakfast and head out to Canons Farm in search of migrants. I parked up opposite Canons Farmhouse got out the car and looked up. The sky above my head was littered with House Martin and Swallow this could be interesting! I sifted through the masses and took counts before venturing into the fields in this area. A flock of Linnet and Meadow Pipit were present in the fields along with other common birds.


Bird of the morning a Spotted Flycatcher was found hawking insects on the corner of George East and the Legal & General Sports Field. There were a few Chaffinch and Chiffchaff also in this area that was full of flying insects.


A few Yellowhammer were seen on my travels this one was photographed by Canons Farmhouse.

A juvenile male Reed Bunting was seen flitting in and out of a hedge along the track.


The Swallows took advantage of the wires too rest upon giving me good opportunity to have a second look through them. There were more on the wires further down the track. 

Buzzard were regularly being chased by corvids three were seen together mid morning!
Thirty two species were recorded which is not bad considering I did not make it up to Banstead Woods!

No comments:

Post a Comment