Monday 2 September 2019

Epsom and Walton Downs - Under Starters Orders!


September has started as August left off with new species added to my Epsom Downs tally. I took the opportunity to pay an evening visit in the hope of connecting with some migrating passerines and happened upon a 1st winter Wheatear along the Gallops. The eye stripe and rufous cheek are visible on photos that were taken into the sun!
The fields behind the Gallops were being harvested explaining the now regular sightings of geese that roost on the cut fields.

A Greylag and a couple of hybrid/feral geese were amongst the incoming flocks that numbered 209 + the aforementioned birds. Can you find the Greylag in the photo? (It’s there!).
The stalking of the Wheatear and the geese count halted my progress allowing only time to count the Jackdaw roost. I should have left Banstead Golf Course earlier but hindsight is a marvelous thing. I also need to establish a suitable raptor watch-point which is not too much of a trek with the heavy artillery!

Only twelve species recorded but two new additions Wheatear and Greylag Goose to my Epsom and Walton Downs total!

No comments:

Post a Comment