Tuesday 3 December 2019

Canons Farm - A Glorious Day!


A perfect brisk sunny day with minimal wind had me take another short journey to Canons Farm. I saw Roy Weller at the parking area at the farm had a catch up and then travelled light to cover areas of woodland for passerines that would be taking full advantage of the sunshine.
As I was walking up the hill to Lunch Wood a low flying Red Kite honed into view. The bird completed a couple of circuits of the wood then continued E at 1245hrs. This species is common in Surrey but I never tire seeing this graceful scavenger.
Lunch Wood itself had a good mix of passerines including a dozen Yellowhammers that were using the trees as a viewpoint before dropping down onto the field. Treecreeper, Goldcrest, Blue, Great and Long Tailed Tit were busy feeding on the buds on the branches. Lower down Robin, Dunnock and Wren were keeping busy in the scrub.

I clicked 129 Fieldfare initially flying NW over the wood into the thin line of trees many returning SE later on in the afternoon. I returned to the watchpoint late afternoon to watch 42 Skylarks come in to roost. A couple of Little Owl was heard just after dusk. Gull numbers this afternoon were low despite the farmer ploughing bog field.
Thirty six species were recorded on what was a very pleasant day with my feathered friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment