Friday 29 November 2019

Canons Farm - Garden watch and Guided Tour of the Farm!


My day involves a couple of hours on garden watch which has seen a number of passerines pass though my ivy clad apple tree at the end of the garden. The above was my second Blackcap in November photographed on the 27th. A female evaded the lens on the 20th (I was too slow!).

My watch of late has been made easier following some campaigning to canvas support to block proposed housing development on the garage area to the NW of my garden. My neighbours now know I conduct a daily count and pointing a camera at the apple tree from my upstairs window is not such an issue as it could have been prior to these events! I just have to be quick in securing phots as the birds don't remain in that area for long.
After my count I took another visit to Canons Farm which was back to normal almost devoid of gulls bar the odd fly over which included a Common and 1st winter Herring Gull. The Linnets were also scattered about the fields in tiny groups of fifteen to thirty birds. 
The regular passerines were busy feeding taking advantage of the sunny and wind free conditions.
A flock of Skylark 22 counted were feeding and moving across Doric field. I then took up position at the watchpoint to scan the skies and wait for any reaction from the corvids positioned in the taller trees. The result was a Kestrel a couple of Buzzard and a Sparrowhawk.

I was joined mid afternoon by Steve Gale who took me on a whistle-stop tour of the Farm. This was very useful as there were flight lines in areas I had not previously considered. As dusk rolled in we were both hopeful of seeing an Owl out on a hunt. But sadly not even a calling Little Owl could be added to the days tally. Fieldfare passing over and Skylark were noted coming into roost during our walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment