Wednesday 21 April 2021

Dorset - Morden Bog NNR - Going Cuckoo on the Bog!

I took the short journey to Morden Bog NNR this morning in search of heathland species. At the top of the list was Cuckoo and Tree Pipit.

The former took most of the day to locate mainly because I spent the morning on the opposite side of the heath to the bird. I heard the bird call from the area of the low wires and went in pursuit of it in the hope of obtaining some pictures of it. This took a bit of stealth birding waiting to hear it call before moving closer to it. The male was seen on the wires before it disappeared for a good hour. I found it in a row of pines at the end of a field adjacent to the wires.

I saw a couple of Tree Pipit during my travels on the pylon side of the reserve. 

Both birds were picked up on song and then viewed displaying its parachuting dive to the top of a pine.

Dartford Warbler was also noted in both areas one bird posing long enough to get reasonable shots of it. Crossbill and Woodlark were also seen with other regular heath species. A flock of Tufted Duck were seen in flight over the heath mid morning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment