Tuesday 20 April 2021

Dorset - Portland - A Day to Catch Up with Migration!

Having missed a week in Dorset I felt very much in catch up mode. Unable to make an early start I left the house and ventured out into a bright sunny day. This was very pleasant to be out in but was to prove a bit of a disaster on the photography front!

I stopped off at Ferrybridge on the way to Portland and watch a good number of Little Tern that were frequenting the buoys sometimes fishing close to where I had set up shop! The shingle was alive with Wheatear and it turned out Portland was also littered with the same species 100+ birds were reported to the Observatory.

I covered Barleycrates, Reap Lane, Culverwell and the Bill. There was a single male Ring Ouzel, and Whinchat both of which were photographed with poor results.

I joined forces with Roly late afternoon seeking out Little Owl at one of the quarries.

A Whimbrel was feeding along the rocks on the way to the bill. We were also told of Common Sandpipers around the bill but could not locate either bird.

No comments:

Post a Comment