Tuesday 18 May 2021

Dorset - Iford Golf Centre & Durlston Country Park - A Woodchat Shrike and Orchids!

 

I was at home when news broke of a Woodchat Shrike at Iford Golf Centre. Thanks Brett! A birder had been playing a round of golf when he noticed the shrike near the twelfth tee and in his own words “I couldn’t believe it!”
The journey to Bournmouth was reasonably trouble free!  Roly being more local beat me to the bird and was giving me updates as I made my way to the golf course. Garry even managed to get across to see the bird and the three amigos were once again united on another twitch!
After leaving the golf course a plan was hatched to all go to Durlston Country Park where Garry showed me two fields that I had not covered the previous day where there were numerous orchids! Early Spider was more common here than at Dancing Ledge and the flowers were still in bloom on some plants!
A couple of Green Winged Orchids were also located. This plant lacking the spotting that Early Purple has on the base leaves.
Early Purple Orchids were bigger and more numerous than the plants I had seen the day before. I short period of sea watching before returning for refreshments at Garry’s and then out to see if we could connect with Nightjar. Sadly Roly and I were too slow off the mark to see the birds Garry had on arrival. The weather was overcast with some rain which probably did not encourage any activity from this churring night hunter!

No comments:

Post a Comment