Tuesday 11 May 2021

Dorset - Portland - A Day of Two Choughing Halves!

This was definitely a day of mixed fortunes which started out at stupid o clock at Chesil Cove with Charlie and an Arctic Skua. Then news broke from Portland Observatory about a Chough which was heard and then seen on the roof. Roly pitched up just in time for the three amigos to head off for Portland.

The Chough was very obliging feeding in a field close to the road opposite Culverwell which was the day at its best from my perspective. The Chough moved around the bill area throughout the morning. Roly bagged a Serin whilst Charlie and I were sea watching.

A wander up the island produced a couple of  California Quail, Wheatear and a Spotted Flycatcher at The Hump. Then news broke of a Roseate Tern at Lodmoor RSPB and a subsequent downward turn in the day which resulted in some shadow chasing for a while.

The sea looked fairly calm in Weymouth therefore I headed for home without realizing the wind had whipped up along The Fleet.  I got a call from Charlie about Pomerine Skuas on the sea at Chesil Cove! Crickey about turn and off I went on one of the slowest journeys in time! Needless to say the Poms had gone and Manx Shearwater were the only reward for the return trip.

A day that started well and ended up in a tangle! Charlie had me in fits of laughter as he suggested birding was not for the feint hearted and I should take up model aircraft if I wanted an easy ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment