Monday 28 November 2022

Dorset - Bardolf Farm and Puddletown Water Meadows - Conspiracy of Ravens!

My last visit to the Water Meadows was cut short by news of a Red-necked Phalarope spending its second day at Lodmoor RSPB. There was an accident en-route which halted traffic in the area and needless to say I dipped the bird! 

I have since had a week in town and took the opportunity to clear the smog out of my lungs by spending the day on Bardolf Farm which includes Puddletown Water Meadows.

A week away and what a difference in the water levels, I obviously missed some serious rain! The wildfowl were more spread out as there were more feeding opportunities in the expanse of flooded meadows. The main contingent of wildfowl was on the water meadows with the fields between Athelhampton and Burleston catering for the remainder of birds. The area around Waterbarn cottages is slowly flooding with the River Piddle expanding as it races through the farm.

The most interesting sighting of the day wasn’t anything rare but a likely family party of Raven who konked their way over the water meadows! The inner bird showed signs of moult in the primaries whereas the second bird was smaller and the feathering looked fresh. The pictures are three of the four birds. This species breeds in the surrounding area but I had not seen this many together here before.

I also noted a couple of Snipe that were recently new in feeding on the meadows. During my rounds I compiled a wish list of winter species that I wouldn’t mind adding to my tally. They included Water Pipit, Jack Snipe, Golden Plover, Dunlin, Yellow browed Warbler and Firecrest. All have occurred on the farm in the past and there is suitable habitat and a growing flock of Lapwing that might drag along a shorebird or two!  

Will one of the above be next on or will it be something I had not anticipated?! It’s just going to be a game of patience!

No comments:

Post a Comment