Wednesday 9 November 2022

Dorset - Portland and Weymouth - Scramble for Sabine's Gull!

The day started late with a mini scramble and a return to Portland and Chesil Cove where Charlie had found an adult Sabine’s Gull! The good news was it was still in the bay but how long would it remain for! The journey to Portland can be a tricky one particularly around rush hour but after a nano seconds thought I had loaded the car and I took a leisurely drive down to see the bird! I half expected it to have flown by the time I arrived in the cove! The bird was still there and remained for most of the day moving along the sea around a large patch of weed and debris! 

I caught up with a few of the Portland regulars and then went on a Black Redstart hunt around Portland Castle. A phone call from Pete Coe and a Whatsapp message cut the search short with news of an Arctic Tern in the Weymouth Marina Area!

I had a brief view of the Tern flying away from me as I walked down from Westham Bridge and then a long period without seeing the bird! I needn’t have worried as it later re-appeared buzzing around above my head at one point before continuing on its short circuit of the marina. It was so close the camera would not focus on the bird! The bird returned repeating its antics before eventually making its way down towards Radipole Visitor Centre.

The Sabine’s gull was still in the cove but I decided to head for home and beat the traffic rather than fight my way through it to get back to Portland. A few Leach’s Petrel were also in the harbor today! Three Sabine's also at West Bay Bridport!  

The storm has really stirred things up at sea adding a couple of more species to my VC9 list!

No comments:

Post a Comment