Thursday 19 January 2023

Dorset - Bardolf Farm Puddletown Water Meadows - Who's Watching Who?!

 


The cold snap continues to shuffle birds around and postpone football matches! The latter frees up some time to visit Bardolf Farm and the water meadows. Today’s plan was to search for winter birds that are not regularly seen but are likely to be present lurking in the shadows!

The water meadows had a large gathering of Snipe seventy six was the final count. The only disappointment despite my relentless searching through them was there were no Jack’s amongst them! I moved on spending the day walking the farm. The Pintail were not seen today but I did find yesterday’s low flying Peregrine that was once again stirring up the Lapwing and wildfowl by using the ridge as cover.

I have been spending time after dusk listening out for Tawny Owls which are heard in various areas of the farm. No joy today but I did connect with a low flying Woodcock that bombed over the track to feed on the flooded meadows!

I had a fascinating encounter with a Barn Owl who was trawling the hedgerows for a meal. The bird was completing a circuit so I hid in cover losing sight of it in the process! The bird re-appeared some time later on a post a few metres behind where I was hiding! I wonder who was watching who?!

No comments:

Post a Comment