Friday 27 January 2023

Dorset - Bardolf Farm Puddletown Water Meadows - Just a Matter of Time!

The Farm has thawed out and the water levels are receding leaving a mosaic of muddy areas for birds to feed on. The wildfowl numbers are up with flocks of Lapwing visiting the water meadows today. I had my highest count of Snipe 112 but couldn't find a Jack until mid afternoon when a bird popped up along the track and dropped onto Devils Brook near Waterbarn Cottages. I guess it was going to happen at some point but it has seemed like I have been looking for a lifetime! I just need to find a bird I can photograph! This was a new county bird for me despite many hours of searching soggy fields!

The conditions are good at all three key areas of the farm which always gives me a dilemma of how long to spend in each area. I have not found a water pipit despite a thorough search and Meadow Pipit is pretty thin on the ground. Devil’s Brook at Waterbarn Cottages has been the most productive for new species for me this year with all three additions (Golden Plover, Woodcock, Jack Snipe) seen in this area.

I am continuing with owl watch in the evenings which are drawing out nicely and the weather has been favourable so far.

I met with Hugo yesterday afternoon to go through the 2022 bird report and discuss tactics for the coming spring. I am glad I have bought some new kit as I will need to cover a lot of ground if I am to add to my tally of birds.

A weekend on the turf beckons with three good games in prospect!

No comments:

Post a Comment