Sunday 27 August 2023

Dorset - Puddletown Water Meadows Bardolf Farm - Causeway Pond Strikes Again!

Friday 25th August 2023

My last visit to Puddletown Water Meadows was cut short by news that my dad had been rushed into hospital and was not looking to last the day! A crazy four hour drive in some of the worst pre Bank Holiday traffic did not assist with the heart-rate! I am relieved to report that dad has pulled through but remains in hospital where he is receiving the best treatment!

Before the dash to London I happened upon an interesting duck on the Causeway Pond. I called Hugo down as I believed the bird was a female / juvenile Greater Scaup! Hugo joined me and we both observed the bird and seemed happy with its characteristics!

I had taken several pictures of the bird and have reviewed them this evening. The head is rounded; eye colour is stronger than in a juvenile bird. The bill is larger than a Tufted Duck no tuft present. The front of the white at the base of the bill is not complete along with the darker brown back with slightly lighter flanks suggesting a juvenile bird.

I did not see the bird in flight which was still there when I departed at speed! I will check the pond in the next couple of days to see if it is still there!

The last and only record of Greater Scaup was a juvenile on the Causeway Pond on 17 and 18th January 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment