Wednesday 20 March 2024

Dorset - Bardolf Farm - Kite Flying Conditions!

Having had a blast of the bug that is going around I made it on the farm at late o clock this morning. Sometimes I wonder if these things happen for a reason as the day turned into a late raptor watch from the ridge.

The water levels are receding on the farm leaving plenty of muddy edges to the meadows. The wellies were on and it was time to walk the meadows looking for a shorebird that may have stopped off to re-fuel! None were found in the three key areas but the warm air certainly encouraged the raptors to put in extended appearances! There is a distinct lack of Green Sandpiper this winter!

The Buzzard pairs were very vocal today over the ridge with Sparrowhawk, and a Kestrel joining in the mix! Birds of the day were the two Red Kites that put in appearances on different areas of the farm.

The first came in low over the meadows at Athelhampton at 1247hrs. The bird checked me out as I was walking the fields before it slowly wheeled off in the direction of Puddletown Water Meadows! I continued my rounds noting a high number of Little Egret on the farm.

I was checking a feeding station which incidentally still had good numbers of Yellowhammer present when a Red Kite appeared distantly at the top of the ridge. I was at the bottom of the path and only had limited views of the bird that seemed in no hurry to go anywhere. I moved to a better position below the ridge but could not re-locate the bird! Could this be the same bird as before?!

The second confirmed Red Kite of the day was flying high in a northerly direction and seemed on a mission to get somewhere it was late afternoon 1642hrs! I have checked all my dot shots and the bird in missing a primary feather (p7) which may be moult! The secondaries were complete and it was difficult from the other pictures to see the extent of wear in the tail (which the first bird had)!

Last year was quiet on the Red Kite front but the previous year there were migratory birds moving through the farm. I spent hours comparing photographs of birds in an attempt to establish if there were “local” birds visiting the Farm! Three birds were noted in the same day on more than one occasion!

Tomorrow looks like more of the same weather therefore I hope to get out earlier with the prospect of catching up with some hirundines! An Alpine Swift was photographed over Southwell, Portland this afternoon!! Wow!

No comments:

Post a Comment