Wednesday 18 September 2024

Dorset - Puddletown Water Meadows Bardolf Farm - Dodging the Cattle for a Pintail!

A return to the farm today had me checking the growing pool at Puddletown Water Meadows. The cattle were in the field by the pool therefore some stealth was required to dodge them and reach the pool without flushing the wildfowl.


The cattle are very curious and friendly but they are very difficult to shake off once they have spotted me. I got in and out to the willow tree (which features top left in the photo) to nail the Cattle Egret without a single mooo! This pool is on a hot streak of birds and I look forward to the hatches going down to provide a greater surface area of water!


A Pintail which I have aged as juvenile / 1st winter male was on the pool with the Mallards. The birds face and neck still showing juvenile traits and the coverts, tertials and flanks blueish grey indicating a male.


A Red Kite appeared over the ridge late morning and I took a walk through the fields to an oasis for passerines on the farm. This area was loaded with birds Blackcap, Chaffinch, Chiffchaff, Blackbird, Starling, Tits, until a Sparrowhawk pitched in! 

Birds are turning up again across Dorset (Abbotsbury Tawny Pipit, Red Footed Falcon) but I do like the solitude of the Farm!

No comments:

Post a Comment