Friday 13 May 2016

Laguna Blanca 1st on Friday 13th!!!

Fri 13th

I started early in the Atlantic Forest and started my survey down near the Cornfield which is at the south end of the forest. The Undulated and Tataupa Tinamou were the first to be heard after sunrise.  The former is still a life bird for me but a first has to be seen. I hope there will be plenty of time to view this species.

Unbeknown to me the forest would turn up a new gem today a life bird and first for Laguna Blanca in the form of a Saffron-billed Sparrow which I could initially hear but could not locate the bird. The bird was sat in the middle of the bush in the centre of the dense foliage. The bird seemed quite content for me to get closer as it preened in total safety of the bush.

A Double-collared seedeater was an interesting find on the edge of the south forest but it had probably been on a feeding skirmish into the adjacent soy field.

During my walk I spied a Buff-bellied Puffbird which was on sentry duty high on an exposed branch on the edge of the track. The bird kept a close eye on my movements as I made my way along the dirt track. A pair of this species nested by the house last Oct / Nov and hopefully they will return this year to take up residents in the same place.

The Laguna Blanca reserve total now stands at 322 species of which I have recorded 217 species

Woo hoo!!

No comments:

Post a Comment