Friday 12 July 2019

Beddington Farm - No Place Like Home!


Having spent the last fifteen years covering Beddington Farm it was not going to be an easy task to completely sever myself from the place. The inevitable happened and I finally bit the bullet and completed my induction.

The next stage was a test run to see how problematic the extended journey would be. It was stupid o clock so I guess the journey was pretty smooth. I have my own PPE kit so all was left to do was to book in at the office and then negotiate the croquet style red frames which lead to the wetland area where the first of the public hides is situated. The other hides are set on the north bank of the north lake and the last on the west side of the south lake.
The most interesting bird of the day a Wood Sandpiper was on the north lake. This bird has been at the Farm for a while now having first been found on 100 Acre. Gull numbers were not too high allowing space for shorebirds to feed along the edges of the islands.
Little Egret was also present feeding together in a shallow pool in the central area of the north lake.
I spent a couple of hours on 100 Acre looking for shorebirds. Green and Common Sandpiper were present on Jim’s bed.
A redshank was also seen on Jim’s and on the north lake. I could not find the Greenshank on any of the smaller beds but that does not mean it was not tucked away somewhere else on the Farm.
I recorded fifty species during my six hour visit. The variety of shorebirds was the overall highlight. The site is undergoing a complete makeover and the lack of stench from the landfill was a big positive. I just need to negotiate the Crystal Maze of fences that line the mounds and lakes.
The convenience of popping over to the Farm for a couple of hours have gone but the area is still a key re-fuelling point for migratory birds that traverse the City. 
I am grateful for some sound advice and have full access to the Farm once again!

2 comments: