Friday 5 July 2019

Surrey Vice County - Roaming Around!


The day began yesterday with an hour garden watch at ridiculous o clock. A small flock of Canada Geese were the reward for my madness. I then moved on to Holmethorpe Sand Pits where there are no time restrictions unlike the London Wetland Centre (0930 – 1730hrs).


I recorded fifty seven species with plenty of juvenile birds to sift through as I made my way around the site. A family party of Bullfinch were observed on the Moors an area which I have regularly seen this species.


I saw my first UK Kingfisher of the year at Mercers Lake having seen a couple of birds in Singapore. That adventure seems such a long time ago now! 


I was making my way back to Banstead Golf Course when the A217 became snagged with traffic so I diverted to Canons Farm to have a wander around whilst the situation cleared itself. I had earlier reported a Marbled White from Holmethorpe (my first of the year) but soon realized they were everywhere in the fields surrounding the old Legal and General building! A handful of Yellowhammer was taking full advantage of the conditions. A Little Owl was also heard calling and a Hobby passed overhead. Twenty seven species recorded in a couple of hours stay.

By the time I reached Banstead Golf Course the sun was at its hottest many birds sitting tight and not singing much. Fourteen species recorded during my search in the more shaded areas.

I am still configuring a battle plan for the autumn period which will include a couple of days a week bird banding at Queen Mary’s Reservoir with the Hersham Ringing Group!

No comments:

Post a Comment