Sunday 21 July 2019

Epsom and Walton Downs - Ups and Downs!


The day began with a low flying Peregrine causing pigeon chaos in and around the garden. If my window had been open any wider it may have snatched me for breakfast. There was plenty of noise from the passerines before the garden fell silent as the peg cleared the roof. The garden does occasionally have a pile of pigeon feathers in it but the local cats get the blame for this!

Next stop was at Banstead Downs Golf Course where the birds were less numerous that previous visits but there were plenty of wild flowers in bloom which had me slightly distracted. I am a complete novice with botany but the more I looked the more flowering plants I found. I just had to keep one eye on the tee and listen out for the crack of club and whizzing golf balls!

My last stop of the day was later than expected at Epsom Downs and Walton Heath but I had arrived during the lunchtime period leaving the racecourse almost devoid of humans. The birds seemed to be on their lunch break too. 


As I walked the Gallops you could hear a mouse fart and it left me wondering why I was there. As I stepped off the main path to an area I have seen Firecrest a call stopped me in my tracks and had me engaging the camera! A Marsh Tit was checking me out busily hopping from branch to branch. This species was new for my site list and a species I do not see that often during my travels.


The corvids then started going crazy and a Buzzard honed into view. The bird managed to shake off the opposition but did not remain for long after a circuit to check me out!


The fields were covered in flowers unfortunately some of the paths were still impassable with my light footwear. 

I therefore walked on the main path to join another track which is lined with mixed woodland. The area was also fairly quiet another Marsh Tit was added to the days tally. I left as the post lunch invasion of folk began!
I have not even started looking at the photos of the plants but noticed many similarities in the flowers between the two areas!

No comments:

Post a Comment