Tuesday 17 March 2020

Holmethorpe Sandpits - A Spring in My Step!


This year I have not been fortunate enough to find a Wheater although it is early days and perhaps I am being too hard on myself. Birds I have “twitched” on my regular stomping grounds have also eluded me. I was not deterred by this run of Wheatear form and spent the day at Holmethorpe Sandpits where incidentally Gordon had found a couple of birds on the site of the sand Quarry. 


It did not take too long to locate the two birds which were mobile and distant but were associating with each other. The first was a splendid male in pristine plumage and the second I originally thought was a female but have had a change of heart on this having looked at my pictures. Notice the broad eye-stripe and greyish mantle.


I had been in contact with Gordon and re visited Glebe lake where a Green Sandpiper was sunning itself.


A small flock of Yellowhammer was busy feeding on the ploughed field on the approach to the quarry. This species is not as common in the Vice County probably due to the change in farming practices.


Collared Dove can also be difficult to locate but the pair at Mercer’s Farm graced me with their presence on the return journey.


The paddocks at the Farm are always worth checking as this area looks promising for Black Redstart, Ring Ouzel and other such gems. Today it only held a ringed Meadow Pipit!


Fifty three species were recorded in a six hour and six mile stint on a glorious sunny day. ebird list

The birds were in full song suggesting spring is just around the corner! Woo Hoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment