Wednesday 6 October 2021

Dorset - Puddletown Water Meadows - Border Dash!

I took an extended walk around my local area this afternoon before moving onto the Cress Beds before dusk. It proved to be a fruitful excursion with two new species added to my Puddletown Water Meadows tally. Neither species was anything rare but gave me some satisfaction as I explored the paths and lanes that traverse the Water Meadows.

A Jay in flight was the first addition. I have spoken about my surprise that this species has not made it onto the total despite numerous hours last winter on the meadows.

I was walking up the lane towards the bridge over the A35 (The border to the recording area!) and a Red Legged Partridge scuttled out of the field near the last house and legged it “raider” style up the lane that crossed the bridge. The birds actions as this species never runs in a straight line reminded me of a scene from the great escape where the partridge knew if it crossed the bridge it would be safe or un-recordable! 

The only shots that were fired were from the camera and the bird made it over the border and disappeared into a field! There were a couple more Partridge in this field so perhaps this one was on a reconnaissance mission searching for better feeding!

The visit to the cress beds was littered with Pied Wagtail. Numbers definitely increase after the workers finish for the day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment