Tuesday 5 October 2021

Dorset - Chesil Cove - Grey Phalarope Riding the Ocean Waves!

When I moved to Dorset just under a year ago I noticed a wave of Grey Phalarope hitting the shores and lakes around the county. I made a mental note to catch up with this species should numbers arrive this year.

It is fair to say that this year’s batch has arrived earlier than my move date but I pounced on the chance to link up with this dainty but very hardy species. A traffic free journey down to Chesil Cove had me scanning the sea in front of Quiddies. It initially proved to be a tricky task with four wave influenced brief views before the bird was swept closer to the white wash.

A few birders including Roly had arrived and I moved onto the beach in an attempt to get some dot shots of the bird. After extended views and a few surprise shots Roly and I made our way to Lodmoor RSPB to spend the afternoon.

We were unable to find the Garganey but there was plenty of regular fair to entertain us including the regular “White” Ruff.

A couple of Great White Egret, Common and Green Sandpiper, Black-tailed Godwit, Dunlin and a good mix of wildfowl completed the afternoon’s haul.

I popped into the cress beds at Waddock Cross on the way home with record numbers of Pied Wagtail, Grey Wagtail and a busy flock of House Martin hawking insects as the rain clouds moved in!

No comments:

Post a Comment