Sunday 22 May 2022

Dorset - Maiden Castle - A Wander for a Wheatear!

I took a quick jaunt to Maiden Castle this morning in search of Wheatear and I also noted a couple of Red Kite was seen there yesterday! This is the site of an Iron age hill fort therefore there are no ruins just a stepped hill where the settlement used to stand. Views are spectacular once you reach the plateau and doubles as a good raptor watchpoint!

The field next to the main car park had been cultivated leaving a rough area on the edge of the base of the hill to the fort. The Wheatear was in this area and I initially had scope views of at least 4 birds! I have been wondering why I had not had this species at the Water Meadows but looking at the terrain there is nothing that matches the ruggedness of this field!

I could see a few dog walkers and stewards for a local fun run arriving. It was time to scuttle up the hill and sit and wait for the birds to move within camera range! There were several Corn Bunting that gave me a fanfare as I negotiated the path. It was just a matter of time before a Wheatear (which was more difficult to locate from this side!) honed into view.

I remained on the hill for a couple of hours locating a Red Kite which was high taking advantage of the early thermals! The resulting shots were terrible but it is likely that this was the same bird I saw twice yesterday! Who was following who around!

Yesterdays bird at close range!

This has at least added weight to one of my theories as to the increase in Kites over the Water Meadows that there are local birds! This bird is easy to identify due to the moult in its primaries. Feathers p8 and p9 are currently missing on both wings giving the bird a slender outer winged appearance at range.

A Great Black Backed Gull completed the mornings tally. I have not seen one inland for a while!

The afternoon will be spent glued to the final day of the Premier league! I enjoy the break from football but it does not take long before I’m chomping at the bit to get out there again! 

No comments:

Post a Comment