Wednesday 11 May 2022

Dorset - Puddletown Water Meadows - A Late Turn Out!

 


The rain looked set for most of the day but I noticed the evening was going to be bright and sunny! I set out to do my rounds at around 1700hrs. It was still quite windy but was generally pleasant. The passerines were in good form many out in the open singing their hearts out having had to hunker down for most of the day.

This presented a good opportunity to get some pictures of the more common species that frequent the water meadows. I ran into the pair of Red-legged Partridge as the crossed over one of the small bridges that cross the many small tributaries that feed the River Piddle. I later photographed a single bird in a garden at the top of the late which was likely to be a third bird of the day. But the other two do get about!

There were a couple of fields that were holding 150+ gulls. The tractors must have been out rotivating or maybe planting seed for crops. At Athelhampton I spied three adult Mediterranean Gulls one of which had a white ring with black lettering. Unfortunately even with the scope maxed out I could not read the ring.

Overall there was nothing special but it was good to shake my feathers for a couple of hours after a gloomy morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment