Friday 13 May 2022

Dorset - Puddletown Water Meadows - A Swift Start to the Day!

I had a stupid o clock start this morning and with cloud cover there was a good movement of hirundines. The first Swift of the year passed through just after 6am and continued at a trickle with most birds heading west until mid morning.

Gulls have been on the increase with good numbers of Mediterranean Gull passing through amongst the Black-headed Gulls. Most wash up or rest by the pools before moving on to their next stop. I remember good numbers last year in the area of Silverlake five miles south of Puddletown. These birds could be moving between fields that are being prepared for crops rather than migrating.

The whitethroat continues to sing its heart out taking advantage of the wires that cross the field behind the viewpoint. I have noticed several singing birds in the lanes to Tincleton and beyond the A35 in the Waterbarn Cottages area. 

I spoke to Howard the landowner the other day and was invited to walk around the land around Waterbarn Cottages. There is a stream that runs through this area which joins the River Piddle at Athelhampton. A couple of species I did not record on the Water Meadows today were there (Mute Swan, Egyptian Goose, and Linnet). I recorded 49 species today on the Water Meadows which is my highest tally to date. I did extend my stay with a view to reach the 50 milestone but it was not to be!


No comments:

Post a Comment