Thursday 19 May 2022

Dorset - Morden Bog NNR - Night Shift!

I started my rounds early today and was met with a wall of mist/fog which made the Water Meadows difficult to view. I went on a passerine patrol and crossed over the A35 to have a wander about the farm. The Farm and the Water Meadows are owned by Hugo and Howard and I am still debating whether to include the Farm on the Water Meadows blog.

I am in the process of being repaired following a full season officiating in the Dorset Leagues. I decided to drop in at Morden Bog on the way home to catch up on some heath-land birds. Late evening was calm and clear which definitely encouraged the spectacle I was to witness.

I heard a Nightjar start to churr quite early on so questioned if I was hearing things!! The Cuckoos on the heath were in good song along with Woodlark and Yellowhammer. As the light faded the churring became more frequent with bouts of wing clapping and calling birds.

Last year I struggled to see Nightjar having a few blanks before I saw birds on Sleppe Heath. Tonight was different I wasn’t particularly looking out for Nightjars but the opportunity was too good to miss once birds were churring. I would estimate 5 birds were heard and seen in total.

This is the first time I have photographed this species therefore this was a bonus! I’m glad I stopped! The conditions were perfect which was a key ingredient for success!

No comments:

Post a Comment