Saturday 4 November 2023

Dorset - Chesil Cove and Portland Castle - Leach's Petrel's Delight!

The weather has been more suited to ducks than being on the turf therefore I was sat on the doorstep waiting for the eleven o clock pitch inspection to reveal the obvious outcome!

A few minutes later I was off to Chesil Cove to join Charlie are the regulars on a sea-watch. I missed the Great Shearwater which is very unusual at this time of year. There were around 200 reported past Lizard Point which is also irregular as this species should now be back on its breeding grounds in the South Atlantic.

The good news was there were numerous Leach’s Storm Petrels moving through the Cove one fell fowl to a Greater Black-backed Gull prior to my arrival. The wind was still blowing a gale and once I had reached the huts and settled in (Took me ages to get my eye in much to the amusement of the regulars!) the sheltered watching was very enjoyable!

Most birds were at telescope range but a couple came within range of my 300mm lens. This species is seen during this time of year but not usually in these numbers. The pale panel in the wing and the divide to the white rump separate this species from the Storm Petrel which also has a white band on the wings.

Once the seas looked brighter I moved down to Portland Castle where the Great Northern Divers have been observed close in feeding on crabs. I was not to be disappointed as the light was good for a while and a partially breeding plumaged bird came in close again within striking range! My Blue Peter photography beginners badge is in the post!

Not a bad afternoon at all. I will be waiting on a call tomorrow regarding Weymouth Women’s game but the first team played on the pitch today, have another home game on Tuesday night and there is more rain tonight so who knows if it will be on!

No comments:

Post a Comment