Saturday 11 November 2023

Dorset - Puddletown Water Meadows - Bunch of Barnies!

The hatches are down and the meadows are flooded. This is always an interesting time of year on Bardolf Farm as birds are drawn into the area if only to have a look at the fields before departure. I visited Waterston prior to my stake out at my usual haunt. There is about a mile between them and the River Piddle also runs through here. I have noticed recently that the fields are very flooded which has attracted gulls and today approximately 1400 pigeons to the neighbouring fields! Nothing special was noted but I will keep an eye on this area until the water recedes.

Wildfowl have increased on Puddletown Water Meadows and it was a good day for species of Geese with six Barnacles being the main attraction. The origins of these birds are doubtful but I believe Silverlake had similar numbers earlier in the year. Egyptian, Canada and Greylag were also present along with other wildfowl including a male Shoveler, Wigeon and Teal. A small flock of Lapwings were also present.

I had a brief stop off before dusk at Athelhampton and I was delighted to see the area was also flooded! Little Egrets and Herring Gulls going to roost were the only notable movements overhead.

The temperature is due to drop next week but will it be enough to encourage something rarer to visit the meadows! Time will tell! 

No comments:

Post a Comment