Wednesday 22 November 2023

Dorset - Wild Woodbury Rewilding Project Bere Regis - Great Grey Shrike!

I was up and out at early o clock this morning with only one thing in mind. The Great Grey Shrike that appeared to have roosted in the area contained within the Wild Woodbury rewilding Project near Bere Regis.

The day was perfect for a shrike warm very little wind with sunny spells early on. There were only a couple of people in the area and I joined a lady that had been to look for the Short Eared Owls the night before (when the shrike was first seen!). I scanned the hedgerow and saw a white blob on top of a bush. I switched to the scope and said “I’m just going to check this is not a Magpie” It wasn’t and my latest Dorset tick was calmly perched up in full view although distant.

I phoned Pete Coe and then put the news out. At last I had caught up with this bird! The bird moved along the hedgerow in full view for at least an hour. During this time I met Seb Elwood (formerly Haggett) who had recently returned from his honeymoon in Costa Rica having married Liv who works on the Poole Harbour Osprey Translocation Project! Both have changed their surname which means “Old Forest”. He was delighted to connect with the shrike! 

The project has just entered its third year and is transforming how our landscape can benefit from the return to natural processes. Details of the project can be found here:-  Wild Woodbury Project . 

Donations to the project can be made through the Dorset Wildlife Trust here:- Wild Woodbury Donations

The shrike eventually disappeared out of view chasing a passerine into the hedgerow which ran adjacent to where I was standing. The bird was not seen for the remainder of the day! I remained in the area hoping to connect with Short Eared Owl before dusk but was not successful! I finally met Ian Ballam and a couple of folk who knew of me but could now put a face to the Kojak logo!

The only question in my mind now is where the shrike has gone. If it has moved further west then I should check the areas of the farm from Tolpuddle through to Athelhampton. A long shot I know but Bardolf Farm has records of Great Grey Shrike the last between 10th November and 2nd December 1988 at Higher Burnbake!

No comments:

Post a Comment