Tuesday 21 November 2023

Dorset - Puddletown Water Meadows Bardolf Farm - Barnacles are Back!

The water levels on the meadows look good for something interesting to drop into. Wildfowl numbers are consistent for the time of year with six Barnacle Geese making a regular return on Sunday to top the bill! I listen out for them as they would be a good garden tick!

Today I had one eye to the sky as I completed my rounds. There were around 4,000 Wood Pigeon that were hoovering up the remnants of the maize crops and likely having the feeding station seed for desert! The pigeons are like locusts as they move from field to field and I was hoping a Goshawk might make an appearance at some point!

The gulls at Beddington Farm used to cause a commotion when a raptor appeared but this spectacle is nothing short of chaos when a Goshawk suddenly appears from the shadows! Today wasn’t going to be that day but it didn’t stop me from shadowing the pigeons for a good proportion of the morning!

Late afternoon the Barnacle Geese were in prime position for pictures from the gate at Cattlecrush but there was a friendly herd of cows between me and the gate! And on this occasion I could not sneak past the guards!

Pete Coe’s news broke of a Great Grey Shrike not far from me late afternoon! I guess I will have another attempt in trying to connect with this bird in the morning! There just aren’t enough daylight hours! 

No comments:

Post a Comment