Thursday 14 December 2023

Dorset - Portland and Harbour - Owl and Grebe Watch!

Yesterday morning I was up and out at early o clock to get down to Portland to do some site research with the goal of locating owls on the island. I arrived in good time for dawn and began my vigil. Conditions were good with a slight wind blowing across the island. At 0730 a Short Eared Owl appeared over the hill keeping low as it hunted over the fields opposite the Bird Observatory.

My next goal was to locate Purple Sandpiper along the cliffs at Portland Bill. The tide was receding by now and a small group were noted wave jumping.

I moved down to the lighthouse where a female Black Redstart popped up onto a roof as I was photographing a Rock Pipit. The sea was fairly quiet a lone sea-watcher informed me there had been a few Red Throated Divers had flown through the Bill.

I caught up with Jodie and John at the Observatory and then moved down to Ferrybridge to check the shorebirds. Dunlin was present in good numbers along with Ringed Plover. The bird in the picture has a yellow ring with black on its right leg. I was unable to read it before a Peregrine spoilt the party by scattering the Mediterranean Gull and waders.

A Slavonian Grebe has been present in the harbour for a while now but I had not found it on recent visits. The tide was out and the wind at Sandsfoot Castle was favourable allowing me to scan the harbour. I located the bird but it took over an hour to do so, Great Northern Diver and a Razorbill were the other species of note. I added another Diver to the tally at Portland Castle before returning for owl watch at Portland.

No comments:

Post a Comment