Friday 1 December 2023

Dorset - Puddletown Water Meadows Bardolf Farm - Escaped to the Meadows!

 

I was out doing the rounds at Bardolf Farm today when I chanced upon an unusual goose (which I initially thought was a hybrid) on the water meadows. Getting pictures of the bird was tricky but I continued on with the day. The bird was seen again at Athelhampton mid afternoon where it was closer and more obliging!

The verdict is the bird is a Hawaiian Goose and Hugo informs me it is likely from a collection kept at WWT Slimbridge. An escaped bird but it caught my interest and a species I have not seen before hence the initial jump to a hybrid! I get some weird looking geese on the farm!

The Canada geese have tipped the 200 mark and with more cold weather coming in the numbers are likely to grow! May even get a White fronted goose turn up as has happened around Christmas time on two of the last three years! Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment