Wednesday 20 December 2023

Dorset - Nothe Fort - Male Black Redstart!

 

I took a leisurely visit to Nothe Fort hoping to catch up with the male Black Redstart that has been frequenting Stone Pier of late. I didn’t have to wait long for the bird to appear the white wing patch and orange tail were obvious as it made a short flight onto the stone ledges.

The bird was feeding as it took the short flights between positions and gradually edged closer to me. The light wasn’t great but what an amazing contrast the colours were. The weather was closing in so I made good my escape before it rained.

Earlier on in the day I had seen Great Northern Divers from Sandsfoot Castle. Black Necked Grebe was seen from the sailing club with a Black throated Diver out in the middle of the harbour later on in the day. 

Perhaps I should have stayed longer but would have missed the Redstart! Swings and Roundabouts!

No comments:

Post a Comment