Wednesday 3 January 2024

Dorset - Puddletown Water Meadows Bardolf Farm - Year Opener!

I opened my 2024 account with the short trip to the water meadows where water levels are incredibly high. There is more rain forecast in the next few days which will maintain the current levels. It is also important to know that the excess water absorbed by the meadows prevents the village from flooding.

The wildfowl are taking full advantage of the current situation with plenty of grazing for Wigeon and deeper water for the Shoveler, Teal, and Mallard to splash around in. I remained by the roadside today therefore the counts were low but is was a fantastic sight to see the meadows brimming with wildfowl as well as water!

 

I moved onto Athelhampton before finishing up on the main farm. Martin had spied a Barn Owl quartering a field just before dusk so I stuck around to see if I could get a reasonable shot before the light completely faded. It looks like Rat was on the menu for dinner?!

A Great Black Backed Gull passed through S along Devil’s Brook before dusk. This species is uncommon on the farm. I will endeavour to get up to Barge field in the next few days to count the gulls that congregate around the makeshift pond that has been created by the rain!  


No comments:

Post a Comment