Friday 19 January 2024

Dorset - Bardolf Farm - Frosty Start and more Goosander!

 I could not waste another opportunity to crunch along the frozen tracks in search of displaced birds that would be drawn in by the Devil’s Brook in full flow! The species (Golden Plover) I was hoping for did not materialize but two more Goosander caught me napping as they flew over the Brook.

No sign of the Corn Buntings today but I did not check the feeding stations at the east end of the farm. Wildfowl numbers are still high on the Water Meadows but there was nothing unusual in this area. The Snipe were out enjoying the sun as I was after a very frosty start!

The Goosander turned out to be the bird of the day at the farm. I completed my rounds and then received a message from Roly who had nailed a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker. I joined him a while later but the bird had likely moved on. 

I did have a Firecrest whilst scanning the trees! Congratulations go out to him as this species is very difficult to see in Dorset with many birds preferring to head for the New Forest!

The weather is set to be milder from tomorrow but this will bring with it rain which will top up the water levels on the farm. It has been an enjoyable few but frosty days!

No comments:

Post a Comment