Sunday 14 January 2024

Dorset - Bardolf Farm - WeBS and Winter Counts!

It was WeBS and winter finch count day on the farm. I like to be on the farm before daylight so that I can record as many species as possible.

The weather was overcast with light rain in the air creating a murky almost misty atmosphere. This proved to be beneficial as there was a movement of wildfowl onto the farm. The birds of the day were three Goosander (2m, 1f), who arrived at Devil’s Brook as I was making my return journey along the brook looking for Jack Snipe.

The barn Owl was seen before first light perched on a post and was unperturbed by my presence in the truck. The photo was taken using the window as a stabilizer in very low light!

Wildfowl numbers were generally up with the biggest increase in Wigeon to 564 birds! It is quite a spectacle to see this number in flight as the birds move between feeding zones on the water meadows.

Yellowhammer and Chaffinch numbers were up both species feeding on the wheat that is distributed at the feeding stations.

I went looking for Jack Snipe but could not find any. For the record I only do this on count days! I had a Woodcock a couple of evenings ago as it flew onto Devil’s Brook!

No comments:

Post a Comment