Wednesday 24 January 2024

Dorset - Puddletown Water Meadows Bardolf Farm - Great Gathering at the Farm!

I was back on Bardolf Farm today and there had been an interesting build up of wildfowl on Puddletown Water Meadows following yesterday’s storm. The biggest increase in numbers was in Lapwing who seemed a bit edgy taking to the skies on several occasions as I watched from Athelhampton Road. I took some pictures of the murmuration so that I could take a count! I moved across to the Lane and soon found out the reason for this as an adult Goshawk sailed past me catching me by surprise as it headed east at 1020hrs.

The second bird to catch me out was the first Red Kite of the year but this time there was some commotion from some corvids which had me step out from the trees to catch the bird as it glided in a NW direction at 1311hrs. The bird continued over the woodland at Green Field which activated a mob of corvid as it flew away!

The Hawaiian Goose was still attempting to make friends with the Egyptian Geese but they were not having any of it. The Geese have been seen hissing and flapping wings at this bird in recent visits! The Goose remained a safe distance away hoping they would welcome it to the group. The Egyptians I believe are the juveniles from last year’s successful breeding record on the farm.

I estimated the Lapwing count at 650 at the time but have since done a photo tally count and there were 688 birds on the Water Meadows with 6 at Waterbarn Cottages! Other site counts today Shoveler 8, Wigeon 734, Teal 214, Geese: Greylag 14, Canada 233, Egyptian 5, Snipe 64.


No comments:

Post a Comment