Tuesday 16 January 2024

Dorset - Bardolf Farm - Corn I believe it!

The temperature dropped to -5 last night and as a result I was out early to check Devil’s Brook and the water meadows for any movement of birds into the area. The River Piddle and Devil’s Brook continue to supply the meadows with running water. This entices displaced birds from frozen lakes and ponds to stop off at the farm.

A Water Rail was noted at Athelhampton early afternoon. The area near the bridge seems to be a regular winter spot for this species!

Devil’s Brook had a few Lapwing, Wigeon and Teal on the northern section. I moved down to Puddletown Water Meadows (Mill Mead) which was loaded with wildfowl. The most notable sighting from the road was a flock of Snipe (72) which took to the skies for an unexplained reason and wheeled above the meadows before returning to the sodden field! I have counted the birds in the pictures and they were all Snipe! Not a Jack amoungst it!

The afternoon was spent at The Shales at one of the feeding stations where I clocked a Corn Bunting sat on the edge of a bush. The Yellowhammer, Reed Bunting and Chaffinch were all busy commuting between the bushes and the track but this bird remained where it was! I had telescope views only but require a picture as this species had not been recorded on the farm since December 2010!

By chance Howard completed a seed drop and I snuck in behind his moving truck to get closer to the birds. I then jumped up the bank and dug myself into the foliage and waited! As crazy as this looked and sounds it paid dividends as two Corn Buntings were noted one within camera range!

I met Hugo for a Barn Owl watch showing him the pictures feeling rather pleased despite my muddy appearance! This is a new species for my farm tally! 

I have a delivery in the morning which will mean the torture of being stuck indoors as another cold night is expected! Unless the package arrives as early as they say it might!

No comments:

Post a Comment