Saturday 9 December 2023

Dorset - Portland Harbour - Winter Birding behind the Harbour Walls!

The weather this morning was terrible and it was no surprise that games were postponed. I made my way down to Lodmoor RSPB arriving just before the rain stopped. I then walked a circuit of the reserve whilst the unsettled flock of Golden Plover sometimes joined by Lapwing circled above!

I logged 37 species on my journey but there was nothing out of the ordinary. I decided to move on to Portland Harbour to see what its walls would hold! I started at Sandsfoot Castle and worked my way down to the sailing club. A distant Great Northern Diver was seen along with a female Common Scoter which was making steady progress into the wind.

I moved on to Portland Castle for the remainder of the afternoon which provided the best photo opportunities. A Great Northern Diver was first in the frame. The birds feed on crabs in this area and can be reasonably close to the shoreline.

I was a bit surprised to see a Razorbill feeding on the edge of the seaweed. The bird looked healthy enough as it zipped alone the shoreline.

I have a trip to Bristol tomorrow to visit Mangotsfield Utd Ladies hopefully the game in the stadium will still be on! If not there may be time for another outing!

No comments:

Post a Comment