Friday 28 September 2018

Rep of Georgia - Batumi Raptor Count - The Big Day Arrives!


Weather patterns have been indicating of late that a Big Day was increasingly likely at the Batumi Bottleneck but which day would it be! It just happens that that day was today I was on station two at Shuamta which did not have the lions share of the birds, but there were significant streams with over 100,000 raptors passing over the area.
Eagle numbers were also lower at Shuamta (which is unusual) but I managed some time to get some pictures of these magnificent birds. I also confirmed a new species for me in a Greater Spotted Eagle which has been recorded at stations I have been at but I have not had good enough views to add it to my life list.

Over the next weeks Eagle numbers should increase and along with further Eagle presentations will give plenty of opportunity to identify the different ages as they pass through the bottleneck.

No comments:

Post a Comment