Friday 14 July 2023

Dorset - Puddletown Water Meadows Bardolf Farm - Being an Oik!

Today has definitely been indoor playtime so I have been catching up with my reports and analyzing my territory maps. The roof to the conservatory is glass therefore I can keep an eye on the sky as well as the feeders.

The monsoon like rain combined with the high winds has definitely had me in the right place however I noticed on the weather forecast that the rain would stop around 1800hrs. This provoked a flurry of activity resulting me sitting in the porch waiting for the last drop of water to fall!

Sika Deer

The water levels at the meadows would have risen considerably over the last 24hrs and there was a chance of something stopping off during the storm! My instincts were correct as I sneaked along the hedgerow to get a view of the pools at Mill Mead! I heard an Oystercatcher but could not see it and it was not easy moving about in the now swampy margins to the hedgerow. The bird continued to call as it passed parallel to my position and flew south joining a group of Black-headed Gulls. Engaging the camera took forever and the opportunity was missed. I phone Hugo to let him know and hoped the bird would return!

View from the Hedgerow

The bird was heard calling again about 90minutes later which suggested it had returned and was looking to land on the meadows or it had found one of the many small pools and trenches to remain out of view! I spent until dusk looking but could not re-locate it. Hugo has been updated and hopefully the bird will wait out tomorrow’s storm and giving me a photo opportunity and Hugo a chance to see it!

This species is common in Dorset but it is a new species for the Farm tally! Fingers crossed it will stick around until the weather clears! This is my 116 species for Bardolf Farm and 100th species for the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment