Friday 14 June 2024

Dorset - Bardolf Farm - Harvest Time For Raptors!

The farm has been neglected of late but a return to complete a round of breeding bird surveys gave me a taste for a few more visits. The weather is still very chilly in the brisk winds and feels more like April than the middle of June!


Adam had given me the heads up that the rye fields situated at the NW part of the farm were going to be harvested. This event usually turns out to be a good raptor day and it did not disappoint. Red Kites are notorious for scavenging and it was not long before two birds arrived with a third bird joining them in the afternoon!


I have had a look at the feather patterns and although I could not achieve three in the same shot I managed some reasonable shots as the birds quartered the edges of the rye.


This species is becoming more common in this part of Dorset but I still get a good variety of birds through the farm. I never tire of watching this species particularly when two birds spar with each other over the crop.

Buzzards were also on the wing looking for any scraps left in the fields (rats!). Gulls were not numerous but were represented by Mediterranean, Great Black-backed, Lesser Black Backed, Herring and Black-headed Gull. 

A Kestrel made a mid level fly over early afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment