Wednesday 12 June 2024

Dorset - Lodmoor RSPB - Yellow Legged Gull!

Saturday 8th June 2024

As the birding year enters the Summer doldrums I have maintained a presence in the field as well as catching up on reports and training should I continue officiating next season.


Last Saturday during a pre tour reconnaissance at Lodmoor RSPB I identified an adult Yellow Legged Gull on one of the islands along the west scrape. News was circulated via the local Whatsapp group at the time of the find and birders at the reserve were put onto the bird.

Later on in the day whilst at the Portland Bird Observatory I caught up with an old pal Richard Sargeant and the guys from the Army Ornithological Society. The YLG had been seen early afternoon on The Fleet at Ferrybridge and discussion confirmed that in certain light the scapulars and coverts appeared a similar shade to Herring Gulls!

This rang alarm bells in my head and having posted a picture of the bird on “X” and “Bluesky” (Incidentally I posted the time on the photo which was an hour behind the time of the sighting at 1030hrs!) I monitored the birding community’s response to the posts! 

I have also had the time to examine my pictures of the bird and remain content with my initial identification on the day. Gulls are a tricky group at the best of times to identify and I hope my rationale below assists with any debate:-

My experience with Yellow Legged and Caspian Gulls originates from patch watching at Beddington Farmlands Croydon Greater London where both species were regular features. First and 2nd winter Caspian Gulls arrived during the winter months with influxes of larger gulls to the land-fill site. Yellow legged adult birds were seen from spring with juvenile birds arriving later in the year.


The structure of the bird was a bulky with an overall proportional appearance. The head was rounded with a heavy bill. The legs were regular in length and deep yellow in colour. The bird did not give a small headed long billed slim long legged appearance with a ski slope back as in Caspian Gull.


Comments: 

A = The scapulars and covers are noticeably darker in the bird than nearby Herring Gulls.

B = The bill is heavy with goynes angle that touches the upper mandible. The bill in Caspian Gull is noticeably long in relation to the small head.

C = YLG eye is pale with a red orbital ring and the iris is yellow. Caspian Gull beady eye is darker in appearance.

D = The head on this bird is rounded. Caspian Gull head is smaller with a longer neck.


E = The legs are deep yellow in colour. Caspian Gull legs range from pale yellow to pale pink in adult birds.

I am always interested in any additional comments birders have on this bird.


No comments:

Post a Comment