Thursday 1 August 2024

Dorset - Silverlake Warmwell Gravel Pits - Scarlet Darter!

 

I popped out this morning to seek out a Scarlet Darter that I could not find at Silverlake (Warmwell Gravel Pits) yesterday evening. The new shallow lake has been created as mitigation for other developments on the site (This has a very familiar Beddington Farm ring to it!).
Scarlet Darter has been present for around a week and is a rare migrant to Britain. The first record was in 1995 and records have all been in the southern part of England. The fluorescent red colour is obvious in the male. The female is duller yellow brown in colour.
There were a few people looking today at the small pond which is opposite the main car-park on the Crossways side of the gravel pits. A Lesser Emperor Dragonfly was pointed out to me but again once my eye was in on it this species was easily told apart from the Emperors with its bright blue saddle and brown abdomen. There was absolutely no chance of a photo of this one!

It turned out to be an interesting morning with guidance from more experienced heads! Could I therefore be adding Dragonflies to my agenda!

No comments:

Post a Comment