Monday 21 October 2024

Dorset - Longham Lakes and Gillingham - Twitch Twitch Twoo!

 

It is not very often that I go into full on twitch mode but today was one of those days! I started out taking a thirty minute journey to Longham Lakes to catch up with a long staying Velvet Scoter. The bird had eluded me on the South lake but was found by Paul who had agreed to jump up and down and wave if he found it after we had spoken!

My Camera decided at this opportune moment to have a breakdown and appeared to have frozen in I don’t want to take your pictures mode. A change of battery and some fiddling about did not change this so I improvised using my Galaxy A52s through my telescope! I cleaned the camera up put the batteries in my pocket and once I had returned to the car and re-assembled it the camera worked perfectly for the rest of the day! Gremlins!!

Having departed I made my way up to Gillingham where an Isabelline Shrike sp had spent a few days in a field off Pound Lane / Wavering Lane West. I arrived traversed the muddy track the bird popped up pictures were taken and the bird was nailed! This doesn’t happen very often I almost felt guilty for not having had to work for the tick! I stayed a while before making my way back home via a familiar route from my officiating days!

A Dark Eyed Junco was found in a Gillingham garden earlier on in the year therefore I wonder what is slipping through the net in this under-watched area of Dorset!

I enjoyed my days twitching and connecting with a couple of new species for my Dorset tally!

No comments:

Post a Comment