Saturday 25 May 2019

Holmethorpe Sand Pits - Spynes Mere Raptor Watch!


The day was forecast to be cloudy with sunny spells with a temperature reaching 22c. I considered my raptor watching options that were within easy driving distance from my home. I passed two (Epsom Downs and Canons Farm) on the way to my destination Holmethorpe Country Park.

The next task was to find a suitable watch point giving good views of the surrounding hills and any potential flyway that would be used by passing birds. I started out at Mercers West and pitched my tent on Spynes Mere where the local Buzzards were using good thermals to spar with each other.


I thought there would be a very good chance of a Red Kite as conditions seemed perfect and these days they seem to be everywhere in the South East. The wait was not in vein as a single bird drifted over Mercers Farm towards the path that separates Mercers West and Spynes Mere. In a matter of twenty seconds the bird had passed and glided out of view. This was my first Red Kite at this site having been in the wrong place on a couple of previous visits when Kites had passed over.


The remainder of the time was spent watching the local Buzzards perform. I have taken pictures of several birds and with three seen in the sky at one time, a pair and some singles I put a conservative figure on 5 birds in total during my vigil. 


Late afternoon I did venture to Water Colours recording a site total of 56 species including Swift 6, House Martin 8, Swallow 9, Cetti’s Warbler, Bullfinch female, Reed Bunting, Lesser Black Backed Gull. The Egyptian Goose and Mallard were seen with chicks.

I am not certain there is a Holmethorpe Blog anymore or if someone is collating sightings so I will add this area to my Birdtrack site list as I am sure I will be back at some point in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment