Saturday 4 May 2019

Singapore - Quest for Spotted Wood Owl!


I said my farewells to Australia and spent yesterday in transit back to Singapore where I will spend a few days before returning to England. I had pre booked my accommodation in Pasir Ris with the intention of giving myself opportunity to see the Spotted Wood Owl that frequent Pasir Ris Park.


The morning was very humid and with no sign of the Owls I was told of a family group near Cashew MRT station. This was ironic as my last stay was in Novena which was closer to this location and other birding sites. 
I arrived early afternoon and saw the family high in the canopy sheltering from the showers of rain that were in the air.


The local people joined me to look at the Owls which have been resident here for several years. A couple of birders arrived and I was given the opportunity to visit the Dairy Farm Nature Park with….. I had not heard of this reserve but the visit was to pay dividends for me with a few life birds. 


The first lifer was Little Spiderhunter a family group that was visiting the flowers along the path from the carpark.


A Jambu Fruit Dove was seen in the trees further up the path along with a calling Coppersmith Barbet and a Black Crested Bulbul. 
Blue Winged Leafbird was a late addition sadly the bird did not show too well for photos.

My photography was poor having not adjusted to my surroundings. I must have lost a few kg in sweat in the humid conditions at one point I could not see for the sweat pouring into my eyes. I am grateful to …. for the experience and may return to see the Barbet.
The whole journey on the MRT cost S$4 (£2) return using  the NETS card I purchased during my first visit in December! Amazing value and a nice cool down out of the heat!

No comments:

Post a Comment