Tuesday 29 December 2020

Dorset - Affpuddle and Oakers Woods - Crossbill and Crests!

After spending yesterday at Lychett Bay looking for the Ring-billed Gull I decided to change habitats today visiting Affpuddle Woods and Oakerswood. My quarry for the day was Common Crossbill which had been reported in recent times.

I had also received a couple of pin drops from Brett indicating starting points for my quest. It turned out that the challenge was over within a few 100 metres into my search. A flock of ten birds which included at least four males popped into the pines just off the main track. Mission Accomplished!

However this was not a tick and run exercise and I continued on to explore another vast habitat that was on my doorstep. I spoke to a couple of local birdwatchers who were very forthcoming with the gems that this area holds throughout the year!

I ventured on towards Culpepper Dish locating a second and slightly larger flock of Crossbill. These birds were easier to photograph with the sun behind me. Happy with my photos (above) I took the track up to the Dish.

As I was negotiating the muddy track I was stopped in my tracks by a single call of a Firecrest. The bird did not take long to show itself as it flitted over the low scrub and then back onto more suitable habitat. Fantastic a bonus bird! It did take a while to get shots but birding is also a game of patience!

After visiting the Dish which incidentally was caused by a sink-hole I returned to the crossroads stopping to photograph a Treecreeper that was part of a Tit flock.

I made my way down to Oakerswood which is another haven for woodland birds. There were plenty of Tit species in the area along with Nuthatch, Treecreeper and a small flock of Siskin.

I took the roadside walk back to the car more to familiarize myself with the area. I returned with the car to log another favourite place on the SatNav! 

I am amazed at variety of habitats that are only a few clicks from home!

No comments:

Post a Comment