Tuesday 8 December 2020

Dorset - Rodden Hive - Wild Goose Chase!

An action packed weekend on the turf had an interesting twist to it as White Fronted Geese had been seen on an enclosed section of Clapham Common. The very place I was heading for with confirmation from Pete Alfrey that the Geese were still present. I took a quick detour to see the birds that were in the NE corner with Greylags resting near a lone tree.

I returned to Rodden Hive today where there had been a large gathering of Brent, Barnacle and Canada Geese. Unfortunately with the end to lockdown has bought back the wildfowlers and pest control merchants. It was no surprise when I arrived today there was a distinct lack of Geese and the ones that were on The Fleet exited stage left pretty sharpish as I reached the viewing corner!

There was still plenty of wildfowl on The Fleet, Wigeon, Teal, Pintail and Mutes in good numbers. A spied a couple of Marsh Harrier one taking a fly by the first bird that was perched on the hedgerow.

I guess the Harriers were looking to take advantage of any scraps or felled birds that had not been scooped up by the dogs! I have witnessed this activity in Batumi and Bulgaria and can’t say I understand it and will leave it at that!

A splendid male Bullfinch put in an appearance but as is traditional they are very difficult to photograph!

I am still on the look-out for Whitefronts down here but despite road closures and diversions the fields did not produce any today!

No comments:

Post a Comment