Monday 21 December 2020

Dorset - Silverlake and Environs - Fieldwork!

I have been trawling the fields of late looking for Grey Geese. I have noticed the water levels rising in the area resulting in several fields flooding. Flooded fields particularly surrounding water courses means an influx of Swans and other wildfowl. I also stumbled on The Watercress Company site which looked suitable for attracting wildfowl. I added this location to my trusted SatNav (We do fall-out from time to time!)for future reference.

In addition to my local observations a group of 16 Whitefronts dropped into Silverlake (Warmwell Gravel Pits) a while back. I noticed that a similar group had also been reported at the Lower Test Marshes Hampshire a couple of days back. I contemplated if this group were the same birds there were certainly grey geese moving around in the next shire! The long Tailed Duck is still in residence and a very confiding male bird it is too!

Three Dunlin was also present with the regular Goosander but something kept spooking the mixed Lapwing flock which gave brief opportunities to get shots of the shorebirds!

The days have progressed and the fields have become muddier with some flooding on the roads. Mute Swan numbers have been increasing along with Grey Herons 

and Little Egret.

I had passed The Watercress Company on the B3390 near Waddock and noticed the fields were heavily flooded with a mass of white bodies moving around the margins. I found a suitable spot to view the fields spooking a Green Sandpiper from the edge of the swamp of a field. 

Four Cattle Egret were feeding with Little Egret, Mute Swans and a couple of Egyptian Goose. Not quite the geese I was after but I guess it’s a start!

More rain is forecast and the car is looking a tad muddy but who knows what the fields will lure in next!

No comments:

Post a Comment